This healthy rice bowl brings some of my favorite quick veggie bowl ingredients together; steamed white basmati rice, black beans, sautéed mushrooms, kale, and salsa. It takes no time to make, and it is a swift lunch fix with inexpensive pantry items. This recipe is simple, quick, and healthy; it has become my favorite bowl to eat after my workouts.
Rice bowls can be very flexible, fun, delicious, and nutritious. Especially when you do not know what to cook and have no time. They will rely on white or brown rice, but you can easily swap the rice with your favorite grain. You start with a base of cooked rice and then get wild! I always cook my white rice in hot water only and never use any drop of oil. Even though I grew up in Turkey and used extra virgin oil olive in every dish and salads before, I have become oil averse person over time. I avoid it if I can or use it wisely in my traditional dishes.
Why do I love making veggie bowls? They are easily customizable. It provides lots of options to choose from your favorite and inexpensive ingredients, full of color. You can easily take your essential nutrition requirements in just one bowl. Fast to cook and prepare when you are in a rush, usually takes about 30 minutes or less. You can create a super healthy veggie bowl in a low budget with seasonal produces. Great for weight loss and easy to make it suitable for any dietary needs.
In his amazing book called The Starch Solution, Dr. John McDougall mentions that the standard American diet is 70% meat, 20% starch, 5% fruit, and 5% vegetable. However, his starch solution suggests 0% meat, 70% starch, 10% fruit, 20% vegetable. 0% of meat doesn’t mean that you do not get any protein. Whole food plants are a great source of protein, which is enough for our daily protein needs.
If you make this healthy rice bowl, rate it on the recipe card and leave a comment below. Also, do not hesitate to share your photos on Instagram, tag @plant.awesome, and use the hashtag #plantawesomelife.
- 100 g cooked white basmati rice (oil-free. just cooked in water.)
- 5-10 buttons brown mushrooms
- 2 bunches kale
- 1/4 cup black beans
- 2 tbsp EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 tbsp salsa
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp dill weed
- pinch salt
- pinch black pepper
- Heat your non-stick pan over medium heat. Add 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil. Add sliced mushrooms and season with salt, black pepper, cumin, coriander, and dill weed. Cook 10 minutes or until evenly browned and tender.
- Pull the kale leaves from their stems and coarsely chop the leaves. In a separate non-stick pan, sautée them with 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil.
- Once mushrooms and kales are ready, combine them in a bowl with cooked rice (or your favorite grain) and add 1 tbsp salsa if you like.
So simple, yet total game-changer.