This vegan buckwheat pancakes will become a staple in your home for Sunday brunches! It is suitable for any dietary restrictions since the recipe is gluten-free and oil-free. Simple, easy to make, and taste delicious when topped with fruits and maple syrup!
I have never had a craving for pancakes before. I grew up with substantial Turkish breakfasts, but pancakes were not part of the culture back then. A typical Turkish breakfast usually consists of cheese, butter, eggs, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, jam, honey, and kaymak with bread and pastry (börek, simit, or poğaça). After I moved to Canada, I might have ordered pancakes in brunch once or twice, but that is it! I just did not get the love for pancakes.
I thought that the pancakes had to have eggs and dairy in it. After I became vegan and started searching vegan options for everything, I realized that you did not need dairy and eggs to make delicious pancakes. There is plenty of plant-based milk nowadays, and you can replace eggs with ground flaxseed, chia seed, or even ripe bananas. But in this buckwheat pancakes recipe, you do not even need a binder. It is dairy-free, egg-free, gluten-free, and even oil-free.
I am obsessed with these buckwheat flour pancakes, and I make them every Sunday! You will not need fancy ingredients to make them. They are fluffy enough and filling as a breakfast. I have tried the same recipe with oat flour, too, but buckwheat is my favorite. There are two different kinds of buckwheat flour in stores: light vs. dark. I’ve used Anita’s Organic Buckwheat Flour, which is a light version.
I have got six medium-size pancakes with the ingredients below.
If you make this vegan buckwheat pancakes, rate it on the recipe card and leave a comment below. Also, do not hesitate to share your photos on Instagram, tag @plant.awesome, and use the hashtag #plantawesomelife.
- 1 cup (125 g) buckwheat flour (I used unsweetened cashew milk)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon (I'm a cinnamon addict. you can use half if it's too much)
- 1 cup plant-based milk (I used unsweetened cashew milk)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl first: flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon.
- And then add the rest of the ingredients.
- Let the mixture rest for 5 minutes until your non-stick pan gets hot enough. I put my pan slightly over medium heat for quicker heating.
- Have a scoop with a 1/4 cup
- Cook 4 min or so
- Flip the other side and cook couple more minutes.
- Enjoy them with your favorite toppings: blueberries, raspberries, banana, etc.
My recipe is adapted from this recipe.